Best Whole House Humidifier
Read all about whole house humidifier units in our buyer's guide. Discover what to look for and which are the best.Humidifier Benefits
A whole house cool mist humidifier unit can be perfect to maintain optimal home humidity in those dry climates, or during winter. When your home has proper humidity, it is great for plants, wood furniture and antiques. It will moisten your skin, sinuses, eyes, throat, and lips.
With proper humidity, many people report being able to sleep better and have less colds. It is a great natural beauty treatment. Our bodies need water, inside and out, to look and feel their best.
Many doctors recommend at least 30-45% humidity in the home to prevent illness due to dry conditions. It is not recommended to humidify over 50% as this can allow germs to proliferate easier.
Whole House VS. Portable Humidifier
Whole house humidifiers are best if your home’s humidity is generally under 30% for a season, or the whole year. With these, you can enjoy proper humidity levels in every room in the house.
Most portable units only humidify up to 500 sq ft, so if your home is over that, you’d need many to do the job. With multiple units, you have to remember to fill and clean each one regularly. With a whole house unit, you can just fill and clean one, or two depending on the size of your home. Whole house units have large water tanks which require less frequent fills than portable units.
Whole House VS. Furnace Humidifier
A furnace humidifier attaches directly to your furnace. I happen to have an AprilAire whole house furnace humidifier. I like it, but since I live where it's really dry, I do find I need supplemental humidity from a small, portable unit.
With a furnace humidifier, the humidity is carried through the house with the forced air from your furnace. Look for rotary disk or impeller units for easiest upkeep. Furnace units are a good low maintenance option for homes over 2000 sq ft. For info on furnace humidifier units click here.
It is best to stick with a whole house unit if your furnace isn’t easily accessible. I prefer a whole house humidifier because I like to be able to have extra humidity all year round, whenever it’s needed, not just when the furnace runs.
I recommend whole house humidifiers for the most humidity output in one unit. Also, for the convenience of use throughout the year, whenever it’s needed. Listed here are a few of my favorites
Best Whole House Evaporative Humidifiers
Vornado Whole House Evaporative Humidifier
Read the full Vornado Evaporative Humidifier review.
- Humidifies up to 1000 Sq. Ft.
- Quiet operation
- Electronic Humidistat Control
- Up to 3 gallon per day output of moisture
- Push button control panel with LED indicator lights for humidity control and 3 speed fan
- Manufacturers price- $99.99
- Sleek design
Holmes Console Humidifier Cool Mist HM 3501 Evaporative Humidification
Read the Holmes Console Humidifier review.
- Built in Humidistat
- Dimensions- 14.3w x 21.9d x 19.6h; Weight- 18.1 pounds
- Runs up to 24 hours per tank fill
- Tank capacity is 9 gallons
- Filter comes with odor reducing technology
- Refill light indicator
- 3 speed manual humidity control
- Filter check indicator
- Evaporative humidifier technology with filters
- Humidifies up to 1700 sq ft.
Essick Air Bemis Whole House Humidifier Variable Speed model 7V 696-400.
Read the Bemis Essick Whole House Humidifier review.
- Humidifies up to 2500 sq ft.
- Automatic Humidistat for humidity control
- Up to 12 gallons of humidity output per day
- Variable speed humidity control with a night time setting for quiet operation
- Refill light for water level
- Auto shut off when empty
- 5.2 gallon combined water tanks capacity
- Size- 29 5/8 x 14 7/8 x 25 3/8
- Weight 29 pounds
- List price $198
From Whole House Humidifier To Best Humidifier Page
To Air Purifiers Humidifiers Home Page